- From the City of Recession Love: Hotel deals don’t get much better than $1 per night, especially when they hail from lovely boutique Alexander Inn in Center City, Philly. Book a room anytime Thursday through Sunday until May 21, and don’t skimp on the touristy stuff. [Hotel Chatter]
- Pizza Pie-off in Brooklyn: Pizza joints have been closing across Manhattan, but in Brooklyn, all things cheese and dough are only becoming more plentiful. New York favorite Grimaldi’s finally has some competition, now that Ignazio’s is open for business and serving thin-crust and Sicilian pies with Brooklyn brews to boot. [TONY]
- Release the Tension in Atlantic City: True, there may be spas in New York, but once you leave the building, you’re back in the honking, tourist-packed streets and by the time you get home, the zen has been zapped. This month, ride first class on the double-decker Atlantic City Express Service (ACES) to the Sea Spa at The Chelsea. Your tight muscles with thank you after a dip in the heated saltwater pool. [The Chelsea]
- Astoria’s Beloved Beer Garden Reopens: It’s what we’ve all been waiting for this long brutal winter. The Bohemian Hall & Beer Garden is reopening this Sunday April 5th, which means toasting to cold brewsky’s, sausages, and the Czechs. [UrbanDaddy]
- Life is a Roller Coaster: No one’s going to take all the fun out of Coney Island. The pier’s time-honored Cyclone roller coaster will keep the thrills alive this Sunday, when the wild ride begins its 82nd season. Be one of 100 people first in line and get dizzy for free. Woo Hoo. [AMNY]
The co-founder and editor-at-large at offMetro, Lauren is a sustainable travel specialist and freelance journalist with frequent bylines in National Geographic, Bicycling Magazine and Shape. Follow Lauren’s adventures at @laurenmati.