Car rental companies in New York serve as a gateway to road trips and adventures for a lot of travelers both locally and people who are there on vacations or business meetings. Because they have a lot of people coming in and out of the companies they can’t leave anything to chance and must check every license of people who are trying to rent a car.
If they don’t they will risk safety and law compliance, which of course isn’t in the car rental company’s best interests. Because of that, in this article, we are going to cover how car rental companies in New York handle license checks. We are also going to answer questions like “Do rental car companies check license status?” or “Do car rentals check if your license suspended?”
Understanding the Crucial Role of License Checks
Before we get into how car rental companies conduct license checks, we need to have a solid understanding of why they are doing them and how that benefits all of the drivers on the road.
Remember that license checks are not some formality but a pivotal element of accountability and security. They are designed to protect the interests of both the general public and car rental companies.
Here are the crucial purposes of license checks:
- Driver Qualification: Car rental companies don’t only verify that people who are trying to rent a car have a driving license but they ensure that they have the necessary qualifications and skills to operate the vehicle safely. Also, they checked if there was any incident that happened because of that driver.
- Asset Protection: Rental car companies invest a lot of money into their company and their fleet. After all, that’s the industry where you rent out luxury vehicles so you need to invest a lot of money. Because of that, they need to check every driver to protect their assets from theft, damage, and potential misuse.
- Public Safety: By conducting these checks on drivers and legitimacies of their driving licenses they contribute to road safety. By checking the licenses they reduce the risk of accidents and damages that were caused by unauthorized or unqualified drivers.
The Initial Booking Phase: Setting the Stage
Do car rentals run your license? The journey of license check begins at the very start that’s the initial booking phase. When you decide that you want to rent out a vehicle in New York for whatever reason, be it a road trip in NY or just to drive around the big apple, the process of getting that vehicle almost always includes online reservations. When you reserve the vehicle, the car rental company requests all the necessary information they need. Among all the information they need is your driver’s license details.
When you have imputed the license information they need and you sent a request for a car, they start their verification process. But, we are going to talk about the verification process a little later.
It’s also very interesting that technology has come so far that if you want to rent a car in New York it’s all so seamless and hassle-free. That of course is better for renters and their experience.
The Art of Verification
When your license information is in their possession they start the very intricate process through sophisticated verification mechanisms. These mechanisms are designed precisely for car rental companies so they can get valid and authentic data on the provided license.
Here is how those mechanisms work:
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR): Optical Character Recognition or for short ORC software is made so it can extract all important information from the driver’s license. For example, your name, date of birth, and license number. When that information is extracted OCR software cross-references that data with big and relevant databases to confirm the legitimacy of that document.
- Checking for Suspensions and Violations: After they have confirmed your indemnity, rental car companies also check your driving record that’s associated with that driving license. Meaning that they will look for any and every restriction, suspension, and violation. If anything comes out in that part of a driving license check, it can impact the whole process of renting.
This in-depth process of verification is crucial to ensure that everybody is safe and that nobody will do anything to a vehicle they have rented. It also shows the commitment of rental car companies to their environment and that they are not just looking to make extra money by letting everyone drive one of their cars.
That’s how they are maintaining their integrity and ensuring the safety of everyone. Real Car is a perfect example of a car rental company that does all these things.
Ensuring Compliance with Insurance Requirements
In addition to the whole process of checking a driving license, rental car companies must also ensure that people who are trying to rent a car meet insurance requirements. In the state of New York, it usually means that you need to have liability insurance coverage. Liability insurance coverage protects in case of an accident and covers medical expenses and damages.
So, when you are in the booking process of some beautiful convertible rental in NYC you might be asked about your insurance coverage. You are most likely even going to be offered to purchase additional coverage. There are two main coverages that you might want to buy, the first is a Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and the second is a Loss Damage Waiver (LDW). These often provide just another layer of security so you don’t have to stress about accidents if they happen.
I hope this post will help you avoid any surprises at the car rental desk on your next journey to NYC. Car rental companies don’t take checking licenses lightly, they want to ensure the safety of you as a driver, the other drivers on the road, and their vehicles. So, they won’t let someone without a license or with a suspended license just get by and rent a car. We hope that you now know the answers to “Do car rental check your license?” and “Do they run your license when you rent a car?”.