At the end of a long work week—or smack in the middle of one—if you’re in need of a city break, the platform at Grand Central or Penn Station is always a good place to start.
Whether the trip is spontaneous or scheduled, these six destinations make for an easy car-free escape near (but not too near) New York City.
2. Cold Spring, New York | 1 hour and 15 minutes
3. Amagansett, New York | 2.5 hours
4. Baltimore, Maryland | Less than 3 hours
5. Saratoga Springs, New York | 3.5 hours
6. Brookline, Massachusetts | 3 hours and 40 minutes
The co-founder and editor-at-large at offMetro, Lauren is a sustainable travel specialist and freelance journalist with frequent bylines in National Geographic, Bicycling Magazine and Shape. Follow Lauren’s adventures at @laurenmati.