· On your next visit to Atlantic City, have some sushi with that sea view at Tropicana’s new restaurant, Fin. [tropicana.net]
· For its 56th summer, the Newport Jazz Festival (August 6-8) has wrangled the best note-makers in the industry—Herbie Hancock, Wynton Marsalis, Chick Corea, Jamie Cullum, Maria Schneider, Chris Botti, Ahmad Jamal, and Anat Cohen—and has partnered with several hotels in town to present some very tempting (budget-friendly) packages. [newportjazzfest.net]
· Spontaneity is a great quality, but now it’s really time to make a plan, so take a look at offManhattan’s 14 assorted activities in and around NYC for July 4th. [oM]
· All 54 outdoor pools have opened for summer, so enjoy a free splash on a hot day at parks like historic Van Cortland, just off the 1 train at 245th St. in the Bronx. [nycgovparks.org]
· Chef Todd Mitgang, of newly opened South Edison restaurant in Montauk, offers seven scrumptious recipes, from lobster rolls to sorbets. [hamptons.com]
· Be it a graffiti art project, a poetry slam, DJ-battle-infused 39th Annual International African Arts Festival, or a two-day party commemorating the end of slavery in New York, the Brooklyn Arts Council has a lot of fun and free (or deeply discounted) events planned for this summer—beginning this weekend. [bac.org]
· The outdoor international film festival starts next week in Long Island City’s Socrates Sculpture Park. [liqcity.com]
The co-founder and editor-at-large at offMetro, Lauren is a sustainable travel specialist and freelance journalist with frequent bylines in National Geographic, Bicycling Magazine and Shape. Follow Lauren’s adventures at @laurenmati.