Whether the summertime laziness kicked in a little early this year or you’ve been too busy to fathom the idea of a long weekend, we’ve got a last-minute list for you with eight great Memorial Day activities, from Brooklyn to Mystic Seaport. Of course, you could just plop your patootie down on a beach all day, butt then you’d be missing out on a lobster bash, food truck festival, and BAM’s DanceAfrica event. (Besides, there’ll be plenty of time for beach bumming.)
1. The annual DanceAfrica festival at the Brooklyn Academy of Music kicks off Memorial Day weekend with an opening night party (RSVP required!) featuring artists, “DanceAfrica Elders,” and local African cuisine, followed by a vibrant outdoor bazaar, art exhibit, and film screenings. Runs Friday, May 27-June19
How to get there: BAM; Take the G train to Fulton Street
2. With days in the 90s, summer is unofficially here, which means it is seriously time to ditch your winter duds in exchange for some fun, warm weather apparel. If you’d like to see your things go to a youth activism cause like Global Inheritance, bring any clothes that you no longer want to SCORE! Pop-Up Swap at Brooklyn Yard, and afterwards browse around for something to add to your wardrobe while listening to the beats of four different DJs. Pop over on Saturday, May 29.
How to get there: BKLYN Yard; Take the F/G train to Carroll Street, or the R train to Union Street;
3. And if the Pop-Up Swap fails to satisfy your sartorial cravings, there’s always the Memorial Day Weekend Sale at Woodbury Common. Check it out this weekend, Saturday May 29-31.
How to get there: Woodbury Common; Take the Gray Line bus out of New York Port Authority
4. The park that needs no introduction. Coney Island’s Luna Park reopens for the summer season. Roll on over Saturday, May 29th.
How to get there: Luna Park; Take the B/D/F/N train to Coney Island – Stillwell Avenue
5. Crack into your first lobster claw of the season at Mystic Seaport’s New England Lobster Days festival, ongoing through Monday. The weekend offers a bucket-full of family-friendly activities, and of course, lots of lobster. Scuttle up here May 29-31.
How to get there: Mystic Seaport; Amtrak trains running Washington-Boston serve Mystic and New London; Peter Pan Bus Lines offers daily round-trip service from New York Port Authority
6. Enjoy the beautiful art and gardens at The Cloisters at the museum’s annual Family Festival. Activities include a self-guided art hunt through the galleries—can you find all eleven details? (Ok, it’s not technically off Manhattan, but it totally feels that way.) Begin the pursuit, Saturday, May 29-31.
How to get there: Cloisters; Take the A train to 190th Street
7. Music lovers will enjoy this performance at the Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center featuring Bela Fleck, virtuoso banjo player, and star of the documentary “Throw Down Your Heart” in a harmonic convergence of the banjo, tabla, and bass. Indulge your ears Saturday, May 29.
How to get there: Visit WHBPac for directions
8. Treat yourself to some traditional and tasty Memorial Day fare—including the artisan Van Leeuwen ice cream—at the Parked: Gowanus Food Truck Festival, featuring the best in NYC food trucks. Eat your heart out Monday, May 31.
How to get there: BKLYN Yard; Take the F/G train to Carroll Street, or the R train to Union Street