offManhattan has been traveling in the green lane since 2007, but 2009 really rocked our sense of adventure-via-public transit. From homebase in Manhattan, we got to explore and see more than we could ever have imagined without a car. We rode Segways in the Hudson Valley and horses in the Bronx, pedaled through Long Island vineyards and did a five-borough bike race, crossed New Hope in a vintage train and took a veggie-fueled bus to Vermont.
We look forward to taking you on even greater excursions outside Manhattan in 2010. See our 2009 top 10 list after the break.
The 10 Most Popular Stories of 2009
1. Go Karting Near New York City
2. Hiking Breakneck Ridge
3. A Self-Guided Brooklyn Graffiti Tour
4. Hotel Bars with Manhattan Skyline Views
5. Mini Guide to Skiing and Snowboarding
6. My Big Fat Greek Tour of Astoria
7. Beaches Near NYC Without a Car
8. Brighton Beach a Voyage to Russia
9. North of Manhattan, a Cache of Old World Charm
10. Rock Climbing in the Gunks
The co-founder and editor-at-large at offMetro, Lauren is a sustainable travel specialist and freelance journalist with frequent bylines in National Geographic, Bicycling Magazine and Shape. Follow Lauren’s adventures at @laurenmati.